Thursday, May 12, 2016

My Belief: Advocacy Alleviates Apathy Caused by Parkinsons: My Video Submission to World PD Congress 2016 Video Competition

Advocacy and Helping Others Can Be An Antidote to Apathy: My 3-Minute Video made with Myra Kooy



My video is about realizing how advocacy and doing good for your community alleviates the crippling Apathy which often comes with the whole package of PD, and which depression meds don't help.
I was petrified to do it, but because this felt so vital to convey, I pushed past my self consciousness about PD symptoms of speaking too fast, too low, and too garbled when I get very excited to convey something important. 

 This all is all like a dyskinesia of your expressive speech mode, common but exasperating and embarrassing.  

So with my wife Myra as coach, I practiced speaking about what I needed to share into webcam on computer about three times to really assess myself. 
When I realized I didn't look so bad, but just couldn't slow down my speech, I decided to summarize bullet points on paper as I spoke, with my face hidden at points, as a kind of visual translation, with photographs. 

Enjoy! Leonore

No comments:

Post a Comment